Thursday 14 September 2017

Showcase Me!: the Forgotten One's Finger


- The bad guys need to get lucky every time. The good guys just need to get lucky once. -
Steve Murphy


I could pretend that these six months have been a complete mess and look for some kind of excuse, but I simply had nothing remotely interesting on the workbench. I finished the last two elite guys on the Khorne batch from the basic game set, and they were just decent. Nothing awful like my misbegotten Reavers, but simply not worthy the time to write down a post about it.
Luckily, my vow ("thouh shall not commence a machine before completing the AOS box!") has been fulfilled and I had a ludicrous amount of ideas.

Like a quite radical conversion involving a Rhino/Stalker, a Sherman, a KV1, and a gargantuan s.F.H.18 howitzer.
Sometimes, size does matter




The idea started from a present from Jonathan. He knows I love tanks and at the right time he dropped a Stalker/Hunter between my arms.
At the same time, he knows I find GW vehicles too "cartoonish" but with a good amount of attitude.
So it was clearly a challenge.
The Stalker concept of a Rhino enhanced as a weaponized platform with stabilizing legs was interesting, but I wanted something more intimidating.
Something that lays siege, if you know what I mean...
"Ab-so-lutely"
I had an old resin s.F.H.18 sitting on a shelf, and the idea of mixing it with the concept of a colossal mechanized sniper rifle for hunting down knights and titans was temptive.
The problem is that the International Badass Scale is merciless, and in order to obtain a proper result I had to switch from "I'll just made a couple of minor adjustments" to "I'm gonna kitbash the sh*t out of it".

"Yes, I'm pointing at you."
 The chassis of the Rhino needed to be enlarged, since otherwise a similar cannon would look silly. So longer and larger tracks, a bigger turret and three robust stabilizing legs.

The metal tracks add lots of realism, given the massive portion on plein sight
For the painting scheme, Carcharodons have a quite sober colors and the right lore to possess strange looking tanks.
For the weathering the idea was to go for an old beast of war, with some scars and definitely not pretty but still perfectly maintained and ready to be operational.

The green and rusty tones from legs and tracks add some character to the low visibility scheme


The fading paint effect on the armor was achieved with the same "windex-technique" from the One-Forty-Twenty making of.

   Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment